Chartered with 26 original members shortly after the end of World War I, American Legion Altenburg Post 497 was named in honor of local WWI veteran Harry Altenburg Donated funds from both living and deceased members have helped improve the building over the years. The post commissioned an exterior mural boasting the message "Freedom Is Not Free” in 2002 and a total remodeling of the interior in 2012.
Most of the active members are over eighty years old, on disability, or past retirement age and still working. The post does have a few volunteers but no Legion family chapters. Paid membership for 2016 was 34.
American Legion Post 801 was originally chartered in 1979 with the name “Bombay Beach,” and renamed in 1995 after deceased Post Adjutant Billie J. Dale. In 2016, the post had 36 members and the Auxiliary unit had 37. Most members are snowbirds who travel to the desert between November and March to escape cold weather elsewhere.
Post 801 shut down for a few years because it was broke; the post owed money for back utilities and fell to disorganization and lack of member participation. Donations from members and the community over the years have kept the post going. Today, the bar is open to the public, run by volunteers, and overseen by a few active members that usually hang out there.
American Legion Northampton Post 56 was chartered in 1922 in Cape Charles, VA. In the 1950’s the post burned down and members met in various temporary buildings around the Eastern Shore until 2006 when they purchased a recently closed supermarket in nearby Cheriton. Several members stepped up and donated money and time for the remodel. “Even if you don’t have time, you make time,” member Bill Burton said. “Here, everyone is thankful. We are high on gratitude.”
Over the last decade, membership has risen from an all-time low of 22 to 245, and Post 56 has earned a remarkable collection of honors, including highest state membership, Commander of the Year, Law Enforcement Officer of the Year, and Legionnaire of the Year. In 2016, the post’s Auxiliary Unit had 43 members and its SAL Squadron 60 members.
American Legion Reike-Meidl Post 319 was chartered in 1926 and named for two deceased WWI soldiers from the Cody area. The post owns the former White Elephant dance hall, and in 2000 converted a small interior space into a meeting room. In 2014, the post partnered with the local school system, transforming the old dance hall into an indoor basketball court for junior high and high school students.
Legion membership was at 82 and the Auxiliary was at 119 in 2016; they survive with the handful of active members who live in town and the immediate surrounding areas, but the bulk of other members live out of state. Participation wavers throughout the year depending on the season; most members are ranchers or farmers and carry the responsibility of their livestock and land.